RE: Alternative to NOBR tag?

From: Dave J Woolley <david.woolley@bts.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:45:42 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org
> From:	Jerry Dunietz [SMTP:jerryd@microsoft.com]
>

> [JD:] Can you share references to specific sections of authoritative
> specifications?  I'm not familiar with these particular rules, and I may
> not be alone....
[DJW:]  http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/text.html#h-9.3.3
paragraph 1.

In HTML, there are two types of hyphens: the plain hyphen and the soft
hyphen. The plain hyphen should be interpreted by a user agent as just
another character. The soft hyphen tells the user agent where a line break
can occur.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/text.html#h-9.3.5
about 4 paragraphs from the end.
By convention, visual HTML user agents wrap text lines to fit within the
available margins. Wrapping algorithms depend on the script being formatted.
In Western scripts, for example, text should only be wrapped at white space.
Early user agents incorrectly wrapped lines just after the start tag or just
before the end tag of an element, which resulted in dangling punctuation.
For example, consider this sentence: