Re: Alternative to NOBR tag?

From: Tantek Celik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 12:59:12 -0700
To: Dan Delaney <DDelaney@PowerCreative.com>, www-html@w3.org
CC: w3c-css-wg@w3.org
From: "Dan Delaney" <DDelaney@PowerCreative.com>
Subject: RE: Alternative to NOBR tag?
Date: Wed, Aug 1, 2001, 11:52 AM

Thank you for the reminder.  I remember discussing that specific issue at a
past working group meeting (here is working group email preceding the
meeting [1]), and it was decided that that was an error in CSS1 (and CSS2
for that matter).

Note that the CSS1 Test Suite tests to make sure that white-space applies to
all elements [2], including <span>, and that all implementations that I know
of that support white-space do so on block-level and inline-level elements
(because they all used the CSS1 Test Suite to test their compliance of
course).

> So it's not supposed to work with the

Well, it is, but you're right, the currently published spec does not
properly convey this.

Thanks again for reminding us to fix this.  W3C CSS working group cc'd.

Tantek

[1] W3C Member only link.
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2000OctDec/0149.html

[2]