Comments in HTML (fwd)

MegaZone (megazone@livingston.com)
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 18:57:39 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Comments in HTML (fwd)
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 18:57:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>

Once upon a time Rude Boy shaped the electrons to say...
>can't I thought I'd ask you lot. The question I have concerns comments
>eg. the stuff between <!-- .... -->.   I realise that placing HTML within
>these can make some browsers fall over and die, but is it actually
>_Legal_ HTML  or not ???

Well, it will validate according to WebTechs.  I tried:

<!-- <H1>boo</H1> -->

The problem is some browsers terminate comments at the first '>' instead of
at '-->' so they will see '<!-- <H1>' as a comment and then put
'boo</H1> -->' on the users screen.

-MZ
Phone: 800-458-9966 510-426-0770 FAX: 510-426-8951 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 6920 Koll Center Parkway  #220, Pleasanton, CA 94566