Re: Comments in HTML (fwd)

Martin Gleeson (gleeson@unimelb.edu.au)
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 19:51:43 +1000

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 19:51:43 +1000
To: www-html@w3.org
From: gleeson@unimelb.edu.au (Martin Gleeson)
Subject: Re: Comments in HTML (fwd)
Cc: S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk

>The problem is that browsers have to terminate comments at the first '>'
>beacuse, IIRC, a very early draft of the HTML 2 documentation contained a
>misprint and browser authors accepted any > to terminate a comment, which
>users then used to terminate comments, which browser authors now have to
>support.

SGML has always had '-->' as the comment terminator. Browser authors
should know enough about what they're doing to know an error as obvious
as that when they see it.

>As a browser author, what am I supposed to do if users complain to me that
>my browser is broken, when all I am doing is implementing the comment
>correctly?

Tell them that their HTML is broken (which is true).

Cheers,
Marty.
Martin Gleeson       Webmeister  |  http://www.unimelb.edu.au/%7Egleeson/
Information Technology Services  |  Email    : gleeson@unimelb.edu.au
The University of Melbourne, Oz. |  Opinions : Mine, all mine.
       "I hate quotations"  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson;  Journals (1843)