Re: Comments in HTML (fwd)
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:17:40 +0100 (BST)

Subject: Re: Comments in HTML (fwd)
To: (MegaZone)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:17:40 +0100 (BST)

MegaZone wrote:
> Well, it will validate according to WebTechs.  I tried:
> <!-- <H1>boo</H1> -->
> The problem is some browsers terminate comments at the first '>' instead of
> at '-->' so they will see '<!-- <H1>' as a comment and then put
> 'boo</H1> -->' on the users screen.

The problem is that browsers have to terminate comments at the first '>'
beacuse, IIRC, a very early draft of the HTML 2 documentation contained a
misprint and browser authors accepted any > to terminate a comment, which
users then used to terminate comments, which browser authors now have to

As a browser author, what am I supposed to do if users complain to me that
my browser is broken, when all I am doing is implementing the comment

Stewart Brodie, Electronics & Computer Science, Southampton University.