Re: Comments in HTML (fwd)

S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:17:40 +0100 (BST)

From: S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Comments in HTML (fwd)
To: megazone@livingston.com (MegaZone)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:17:40 +0100 (BST)
Cc: www-html@w3.org

MegaZone wrote:

> Well, it will validate according to WebTechs.  I tried:
>
> <!-- <H1>boo</H1> -->
>
> The problem is some browsers terminate comments at the first '>' instead of
> at '-->' so they will see '<!-- <H1>' as a comment and then put
> 'boo</H1> -->' on the users screen.

The problem is that browsers have to terminate comments at the first '>'
beacuse, IIRC, a very early draft of the HTML 2 documentation contained a
misprint and browser authors accepted any > to terminate a comment, which
users then used to terminate comments, which browser authors now have to
support.

As a browser author, what am I supposed to do if users complain to me that
my browser is broken, when all I am doing is implementing the comment
correctly?

--
Stewart Brodie, Electronics & Computer Science, Southampton University.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~snb94r/      http://delenn.ecs.soton.ac.uk/