Re: Inline macros

erik (erik@inch.com)
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:12:40 -0400

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:12:40 -0400
From: erik <erik@inch.com>
To: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Inline macros

> Scripting features in HTML _is_ a topic for this list, and we
> can learn how _not_ to do it by examining JavaScript

What is needed in HTML is a way to allow arbitrary NON-SGML
sections in a document.....(embedded perl...embedded
java...etc.).  This way we can stop the threat of w3's
obsolescence.

The META tag fits into SGML....which is why no one writes
macro languages around it.

-------------------------------
<H2>My flashy macro thing page
<P>

<SECTION NAME=* TYPE=txt/x-funk SEPARATOR="!!!!nonsgml!!!!!">
%my(funcky, macro)
!!!!nonsgml!!!!!

<SECTION NAME=* TYPE=txt/java>
my(java, macro);
</NOT-SGML>

<P>Normal HTML resumes...sanity is resored.

<P>If separator is not specified, the default delimiter is
assumed to be a normal closing-tag. this style would be
encouraged.....but of course some macro interpreters wouldn't be
able to handle it.

<P>A browser would pass the contents of the section to the
interpreter unchanged.

<P>Vendors will do stupid non-sgml things with this macro....but
at least that way it will all be in one place!