Re: Inline macros

Foteos Macrides (
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:39:46 -0500 (EST)

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:39:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Foteos Macrides <>
Subject: Re: Inline macros

From: erik <>
>> Scripting features in HTML _is_ a topic for this list, and we
>> can learn how _not_ to do it by examining JavaScript
>What is needed in HTML is a way to allow arbitrary NON-SGML
>sections in a document.....(embedded perl...embedded
>java...etc.).  This way we can stop the threat of w3's

	You are thinking only in terms of Netscape's "first pass"
implementation of SCRIPT.  Look at it's generalization in the
08-Feb-96 W3C working draft for SCRIPT, and mentally update it's
references to INSERT with the 12-Apr-96 OBJECT draft.  Here's
what one of it's examples becomes, which appears to be exactly
what you are seeking:

    <script SCRIPTENGINE="#perl">
             # perl script here