Re: Inline macros

David Ornstein <davido@objarts.com> wrote:
>As I said before, I'd *like* to avoid having a lexer have to know about the
>tags it's dealing with.  Could we use a combination of techniques like this?
>
><script type=txt/smalltalk>
><![ CDATA [
>        Transcript show: 'This is a cool idea'.
>        Disk format.
>]]>
></script>

	The SCRIPT draft suggests:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Blah">
<![ %if-script [
  Blah blah...
]]>
</SCRIPT>

	There's no way to do it that would succeed in hiding the
content from all previously deployed user agents.  It doesn't
take much to add recognition of SCRIPT and active hiding of
it's content, but it takes a bit more to get everyone upgraded
to newer versions of clients.

>I don't much like all the funny punctuation, but it substantially eases the
>burden on the parser/lexer and allows for more sophisicated systems to be
>built...
>
>Or one could do something along the lines of the <object> proposal that
>Foteos referenced (could someone send me a good URL for this proposal so I
>can finally read it?):

	The WD-script.html and WD-object.html drafts are in:

	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/

	I got several private email queries about where I saw the
annoucements for those drafts, and I didn't, nor do I know if a
formal announcement procedure exists.  My understanding is that
one should check that directory regularly, and when a draft appears
there, it's open for general discussion on the approriate foo-wg
email list (for those two, html-wg@w3.org).

				Fote