Re: Inline macros

Lee Daniel Crocker (lcrocker@calweb.com)
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 14:09:00 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Re: Inline macros
To: erik@inch.com (erik)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 14:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Lee Daniel Crocker" <lcrocker@calweb.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

> > Scripting features in HTML _is_ a topic for this list, and we
> > can learn how _not_ to do it by examining JavaScript
>
> What is needed in HTML is a way to allow arbitrary NON-SGML
> sections in a document.....(embedded perl...embedded
> java...etc.).  This way we can stop the threat of w3's
> obsolescence.

What's wrong with the <OBJECT> system that MS, NS, Sun, and others
have already signed onto?  It allows alternatives for browsers
that don't understand the object type, a data: URL for embedding
the object's data directly, and other gadgets:

<object data="data:application/x-bobscript,
RunMyNiftyAnimationHere();
Result = PopupDialog(%22Wasn't that nifty?%22);
if (Result == NO) then EraseUsersHardDisk();
">
Hey! Your browser doesn't support BobScript!
You're obviously an inferior person because you
didn't buy the same $50 browser I bought.
</object>