Re: Did TimBL fulfill a prophecy? :-)

Matthew James Marnell (marnellm@portia.portia.com)
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 10:39:43 -0400

To: boo@best.com (Walter Ian Kaye)
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Did TimBL fulfill a prophecy? :-)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 10:39:43 -0400
From: Matthew James Marnell <marnellm@portia.portia.com>

One thing TBL didn't fulfill a prophecy.  Reasons below.

:>Oh boy, it looks like the WWW was predicted way back in 1936!
:>I just now came across a quote on this page:

Ah, there are a couple problems with this.  One, the WWW is not the
Internet and the Internet is not the WWW.  If anything, I'd say that
a "mechanism of world inter-communication" better describes the
Internet and all it's tools then one service on the Internet, the
WWW.  The second part of the quote disqualifies even the Internet
as a part of the prophecy by saying "freed from national hindrances and
restrictions, and functioning with marvelous swiftness and perfect
regularity" which even on its best days the Internet fails to be.
Maybe some day.

Matt