User friendly 404s reconsidered

From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper@tverskov.dk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:43:11 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

hi list,

I have made a 2. Edition of my article "User friendly 404 error messages
reconsidered".

http://www.smackthemouse.com/error404.

Before I publish it, feedback is appreciated in order to correct errors et
cetera, and any suggestions of how to make things better in article as well
as in source code is welcome. Do the cached error messages pose special
problems of accessibility?

Main points of accessibility:
1) A few web server defaults are better than millions of self-made error
messages.
2) Make it look like an error message.
3) Simplicity is king.
4) Remember the 404 status code.