RE: User friendly 404s reconsidered

From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper@tverskov.dk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:45:14 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Mike Barta writes:

The MS.com 404 page is not a site map.  It is dynamically generated map
based on the information gleanable from the request URL. (just fyi)

_ _ _ _ _

When I go to www.microsoft.com and provoke some error, let us say by adding
/asdf, or /google, the error message still looks like some sort of sitemap.

If we add /vista an error message is not returned but the URL is
automatically corrected to /windowsvista.

This is misuse of the error message turning it into some sort of search
engine not even notifying the user. The longer we remove ourselves from web
server 404 defaults we get a million different concepts of what an error 404
is supposed to be. To follow the standards just a little would do also in
this case.

Best regards,

Jesper Tverskov
www.smackthemouse.com