RE: User friendly 404s reconsidered

From: Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:11:48 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Julian Scarlett

> I may be missing the point here but how do you provide a
> closest match given that all you know of is the requested
> URI? For CMS driven sites this may just be a page ID.

Obviously, you can only provide potential matches if there's enough information in the URI to begin with (e.g. if it's not purely a numerical value, you could try closest match a la spellchecker or google's "did you mean...")

On a tangent, there is certainly something to be said about URIs that are human-readable to a certain extent, as opposed to purely numerical ones...

Patrick H. Lauke
Web Editor / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk
http://webstandards.org/