RE: F2F Proposed Resolutions Draft Updates

From: Yvette Hoitink <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:33:11 +0200
To: "'Roberto Scano \(IWA/HWG\)'" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>, <caldwell@trace.wisc.edu>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Roberto Scano asked:
> Always regarding 4.1:
>
> <cite>
>   Level 1 Success Criteria for Guideline 4.1  SGML-based
> delivery units are well-formed. [I]
>  Note:
> This does not require that they are valid.
>  Non-SGML-based delivery units are formatted according to
> their content type specification. [I] </cite>
>
> Why only sgml-based languages can be not Valid?

The level 1 SC is not about validity, but about being well-formed.
Well-formed means all opened tags are closed and nested according to spec.

We did this at level 1 because many of the problems with invalid documents
are caused by missing close tags or wrong nesting and not by, for example,
having an extra attribute that is not in the spec. So at level 1 you would
be allowed to say <body valign="top><h1>bladibla</h1></body> but not <body
valign="top"><h1>bladibla</body>.

However, well-formedness is a concept that does not apply to all
technologies but only to technologies that use tags such as XML-based
technologies and HTML. That's why we limited the requirement to SGML-based
delivery units.

Yvette Hoitink
Heritas, Enschede, the Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl