Re: Re : Influence of valid code on screen readers

From: Roberto Castaldo <r.castaldo@iol.it>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:45:01 +0200
To: "'Matt May'" <mcmay@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Matt:
Deciding not to say something is not the same as saying the opposite. I
haven't told you not to kill anybody. Does that make me pro-murder?

Roberto C:
Of course not!
But we're requested to give a message, a signal, a track to follow, and - in
my opinion - this should be a strong message that could not lead to any kind
of misunderstanding about W3C standards

Matt:
We're not in a position to say what is and is not "allowed". The WCAG WG is
not the Web police.

Roberto C:
I think we are in such position: the whole web community interested in web
accessibility is strongly waiting for WCAG 2.0, and requests some guidelines
that are very near the concept of "web accessibility police"; but we always
say that Web should not be not accessible, so WCAG 2.0 will have a deep
impact on the whole Web.

Matt:
If tag soup meets the functional requirements of accessibility that we set
out, then we have no reason not to declare that it's accessible.

Roberto C:
I think that we should avoid to give tag soup any kind of dignity, as it
simply is the absence of rules in developing web pages. From Wikipedia: "Tag
soup is HTML code, written without regard for the rules of HTML structure
and semantic meaning"; that should be enough for any W3C recommendation to
not allow this superficial way of approaching web development.

Best regards,

Roberto Castaldo
www.Webaccessibile.Org coordinator
IWA/HWG Member