Re: Re : Influence of valid code on screen readers

From: Roberto Castaldo <r.castaldo@iol.it>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:45:01 +0200
To: "'Matt May'" <mcmay@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Deciding not to say something is not the same as saying the opposite. I
haven't told you not to kill anybody. Does that make me pro-murder?

Roberto C:
Of course not!
But we're requested to give a message, a signal, a track to follow, and - in
my opinion - this should be a strong message that could not lead to any kind
of misunderstanding about W3C standards

We're not in a position to say what is and is not "allowed". The WCAG WG is
not the Web police.

Roberto C:
I think we are in such position: the whole web community interested in web
accessibility is strongly waiting for WCAG 2.0, and requests some guidelines
that are very near the concept of "web accessibility police"; but we always
say that Web should not be not accessible, so WCAG 2.0 will have a deep
impact on the whole Web.

If tag soup meets the functional requirements of accessibility that we set
out, then we have no reason not to declare that it's accessible.

Roberto C:
I think that we should avoid to give tag soup any kind of dignity, as it
simply is the absence of rules in developing web pages. From Wikipedia: "Tag
soup is HTML code, written without regard for the rules of HTML structure
and semantic meaning"; that should be enough for any W3C recommendation to
not allow this superficial way of approaching web development.

Best regards,

Roberto Castaldo
www.Webaccessibile.Org coordinator
IWA/HWG Member