RE: Tone

From: Charles F. Munat <chas@munat.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:33:59 -0700
To: "WCAG WG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Anne Pemberton wrote:
> but suppose we built the site for
> accessibility/usability .... maybe using Williams recent thoughts ...
> something that changes dynamically to respond to newly-known
> needs .... and
> changes again as various user agents and authoring tools make
> such concerns
> past tense ....
>
>          And built the "carved in stone" guidelines from the dynamic
> response to needs.

At the recent F2F there did not seem to be any support for this at all. The
consensus seemed to be that the guidelines had to be something that the
regulation writers could use as a basis for their regulations, that
conformance (and thus "normativeness") were vital, and that these
requirements ruled out any sort of unstable checkpoints (how can you expect
conformance to a document that keeps changing?).

In my mind, the only way that a dynamic hypertext resource for
accessibility/usability information would work is to discard the whole idea
of checkpoints and normative/non-normative criteria. Everything would be
informational and "conformance" would be up to the user to measure.

I suggested such a path at the F2F and there were no takers.

Chas. Munat