Re: WCAG 1.0 CP 6.1 Considered Harmful

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:49:42 +0100
To: "Alan J. Flavell" <flavell@a5.ph.gla.ac.uk>
Cc: "WAI Guidelines List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
> > perpetuating a myth that all browsers must render HTML
> > with a default stylesheet,
>
> I'm sorry, I'm unable to understand you on this point.
> [...]
> Or is it that you're objecting to the idea that the "default
> stylesheet" [...]

Yep, that's the one, I didn't phrase myself at all well. All browsers
really do have to have a built in stylesheet of some sort, because that's
what people expect with HTML browsers, but they should make that stylesheet
accessible. What I meant was that the very path of evolution of HTML is
flawed, inherently flawed in that to make the Web work, browsers had to
have default styles for rendering. Perhaps it didn't have to be that way,
and certainly it's a shame that the alternative (stylesheets) were not
recognized until some time later, but that's all in the past. WCAG is in
the present, and it perpetuates the "default style" myths, IMO.

At this point, I'm probably going to take Al's suggestion that we not beat
this issue too hard (won't stop me from addressing it a bit), because it
infringes on many UAAG domain areas etc., and we need to have more people
dicussing it.

Cheers,

--
Kindest Regards,