Re: WCAG 1.0 CP 6.1 Considered Harmful

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 12:02:23 -0700
To: "Alan J. Flavell" <flavell@a5.ph.gla.ac.uk>, "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
Cc: WAI Guidelines List <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
At 07:39 PM 9/25/01 +0100, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
>Or is it that you're objecting to the idea that the "default stylesheet"
>might be just an abstract concept that's built-into the rendering
>mechanism of some browsers, without being a tangible "stylesheet" as such?

Whether Sean is objecting to that idea or not, I am. Many people don't
think of what they get from the browser as being decreed by an
often-unassailable "pseudo style-sheet" that the browser uses as a default.
I believe that this rendering is arbitrarily left to the tender mercies of
messrs. IE, NS, and Opera et al so that when WCAG comes out it must not
assume some base default rendition has been a part of the HTML spec all
along but merely another pit on the road to accessibility. Their "default
style sheet" might not even be in the "cascade" for all we know?

--
Love.
EACH UN-INDEXED/ANNOTATED WEB POSTING WE MAKE IS TESTAMENT TO OUR HYPOCRISY