Re: Issue #10

--- "Charles F. Munat" <chas@munat.com> wrote:
> I like the idea of icons that mirror the modules/sections or the guidelines.
> Rather than A-AAA, I suggest that we simply divide 100 by the number of
> checkpoints in each section. So if Guideline 1 has 5 checkpoints, then the
> levels for that Guideline/section/module would be 0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100.
> This would encourage following as many guidelines as possible and would
> clearly show the percentage compliance.

The problem I see with equal values for each checkpoint is the potential for
people looking to score points (literally) by claiming compliance to irrelevant
checkpoints. Others may take on easier, lower-priority checkpoints as a
substitute for more important ones ("well, I can put alt tags on all my
content, or I could just mark all my <html> tags with 'lang="en"' and score
another 20..."). I like the idea of a baseline such as level A compliance,
below which no compliance claim can be made, which at least eliminates basic
technical obstacles to access.

I can imagine things like weighted scores, with higher scores for
higher-priority items, but then I think: if the upcoming prioritization process
is giving people heartburn, the idea of coming to consensus on something that
complex is the five-alarm chili/five-star Thai of compliance schemes. <grin/>

-