Re: Modularization proposals

** functional concept **

The virtue of a database approach to maintaining our knowledge of barriers and
how to avoid them is that the information pertinent to a specific design
decision can be isolated by algorithm and rich backups provided to the user of
the knowledge.

The killer Ap is a site designer's associate which will take a mockup or a
higher-level description of a feature that the designer wants to implement,
and
report:

a) a list of thumbnails of the potential access issues with such a construct
(with links to details) and

b) a similar shortlist of the top three to five feature-combinations (solution
options) in combined score of a) popularity on the web and b) usability
ratings
from testing with users with disabilities.  Each solution option is
represented
in a UML-like design overview and links to live sites illustrating the
component techniques applied in this synthesis.

There is a genuine tension between the idea that "we have a charter to produce
guidelines" and the idea that "we have a mission to clean up the accessibility
of the Web."

The most useful modules are not only separated in one axis, such as functional
impairment involved in critical scenarios, but in all dimensions that cause
changes in the recorded knowledge.  In fact once operating in a database
environment, there is a strong motivation not to aggregate blocks but make the
least level record the unit of update.  The various clauses form a tuple space
with multiple keys dealing with disability (or situation-dependent user
ability
profile), function (to be performed in the context of the Web Ap), and
technology.

An example of a module with a _raison d'etre_ is tracking the state of
implementation; developing the information needed to decide when 'until user
agent' clauses have been met.  One really wants to keep this information at
arm's length because it is continually changing while other productions are
not.

So in the Web Accessibility Knowledge Base there are two main views: an
application view (web-designer's view) and a change-control view (which
requires making sure that a technique has been evaluated in a suitably wide
distribution of usage situations, worries about longitudinal compatibility
across changes, etc.).

But there are other views.  To do a format review, PF would annotate the
format
proposal with functions performed, using the function taxonomy used in the
knowledge base.  This would then give us comparable access solutions per
feature for the features in the new format.  We would be able to see where
they
should have re-used a feature because an accessible implementation of the same
function is available in a module compatible with integration in their
application.  Actually, PF would just double-check this analysis as performed
by the format designers.

Putting ourselves in the box of change control policies inherited from paper
documents has added at least a year to the release date of the User Agent
guidelines and has materially reduced their effectiveness because implementers
have so much difficulty mapping the technology-independent language to what
they actually do.  [Do you hear echoes of the web designer reaction to WCAG
1?].

We should be moving in the direction of an application designer's associate
running off a knowledge base with all deliberate speed or we shall be falling
farther and farther behind the growing edge of the Web.  It's just
accelerating, even in the downturn.  To find stable things to say we have
to be
working in a medium that copes with perpetual change.  If the tools don't
manage that for us, we are caught on a treadmill and don't get to do real
work.

** incremental opportunities **

Starting from here, it looks like maintaining document prose in XML or XHTML
and relying on class marks a lot for the properties that index the contents.
Either it is done with a relational design and keys in classes or it is
done in
XML with X-Link, as the X-Link compatible version of XHTML is still being
worked on.  Or can we fudge it with a retrofit module that upgrades XHTML 1.1
with just X-Link?  Better to do a GuidelinesML from scratch, that is to say
from TREX, RELAX-NG or XSD.  We may yet wind up with application-defined
classes in XHTML lookalike syntax, however.

To design a to_be architecture for the knowledge base driven version, one
starts with scenarios for application by site-and-Ap designers and for
knowledge base update applying real-user testing results.

Getting the model from the scenarios and the schemas from the model is an area
where we may need to call in fresh troops with OMG experience.  Getting a
syntax out of a marriage of the design-based schemas and XHTML should be
something we can handle within W3C.

If we can pull this off it will create a spec-for-spec methodology that solves
a lot of problems in the wider W3C.  But don't sell it as that until it is
working.  We have the excuse that we have to track what the fickle web design
community is fadding about now.

HTML WG really wants this sort of input; but we have to organize our
infrastructure for continuous but rule (distribution of evaluations)
conforming
update to provide them with a feed that is current and of a high quality.

Al