Possible deletion

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:32:47 -0500
To: "GLWAI Guidelines WG \(GL - WAI Guidelines WG\)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
In the teleconference today we noted that of all the suggestions to
rewrite 3.3 none of them had the word "POSSIBLE" in them.

We are therefore proposing that the words  "POSSIBLE AND" be removed
from 3.3 so that it reads

Checkpoint 3.3:  Write as clearly and simply as is appropriate for the
site's content.

If you have an objection to the removal of "possible and"  from the
checkpoint please respond to the list before Monday.

( You can also comment on other aspects of 3.3 but this is the only one
we are considering before this TR release.  )

NOTES:

We decided to not change content to purpose at this time for two reasons
1)   it was deemed to be a change in the meaning of the checkpoint and
we are too close to release.
2)   there were concerns that purpose was quite different and may not be
what we want to say.  A site may have multiple purposes for example.

We decided not to introduce the word 'language' for two reasons
1)   too close to release to introduce a word that might change the
meaning
2)   language is only one aspect of writing that can effect the
simplicity of the content.

Thanks much everyone

Gregg