Re: class use (notional vs. blindless grouping)

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 23:04:54 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "Al Gilman" <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
> PS:  What would you suggest for an example -- based on
> semantics that are current web cliches -- which calls for
> two 'class' tokens?

Ugh, I should start *reading* emails that are sent to me before I
reply to them!

   Marge: Homer, you're just hearing what you want to hear!
   Homer: Thanks, I'd love an omlette right about now.

An example that would require two class tokens... O.K., how about:-

   <li class="proposed checkpoint">Blargh</li>

Which are classes that I actually used in XML GL. I think that if we
were using XML source though, we would have created a "checkpoint"
element, and then marked that with the single class "proposed". I
think that classes are generally classification markers that can apply
to a large proportion of the XML tree. e.g. "quote" makes a good class
mark (quoted material can be anything, why does XHTML have a
"<blockquote>" and a "<q>" element? Very weird). Of course, classes
should be QNames as well.

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer