Re: class use (notional vs. blindless grouping)

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:52:34 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "Al Gilman" <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
> The 'new' class indicates a change in the commercial
> offering of the merchant.

Ah, fair enough; I misread it a bit.

> PS:  What would you suggest for an example -- based on
> semantics that are current web cliches -- which calls for
> two 'class' tokens?

I presume you're asking for an example that can accurately transform a
document which has multidimensional classmarks into the usual 1.5
dimensions of an XML tree? Well, I conceded quite a while ago that
this is impossible in some cases [your rants on the subject were
excellent], but I still think that there is a balance to be achieved.
I think you're starting to try to capture this by asking people to
consider class usage, and issue materials that guide people into
creating accessible classes. That's good.

I have a draft letter in my email client from some time ago that
discusses this in some (technical and philospohical) detail, but I
didn't get around to polishing and sending it. I'll see if I can
salvage anything from it.

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer