Re: RE Checkpoint 3.4 again

Greg,

         I'd suggest that text which is content is the text that needs
equivalents. Text that is a link already has an equivalent at the end of
the click ... text that is in a database or table may or may not need an
equivalent, depending on whether it's content, or just an index ..... Text
is a glossary, dictionary, or encyclopedia should have at least one
equivalent ...

         Did you look at the Nasa site that Katie shared this morning?
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast23jul_1.htm?list438943 It is an
example of a government site that tried to make their information to
accessible at various levels, but didn't think it through. The 3/4 grade
version is written so that some teachers in Kindergarten, First and Second
grade may be able to use the material with their classes. Now if they click
to the site, and click on 3-4 version, they get all text. The teacher is
reading the text to the class from the screen. She has to jump back to the
basic version to show the illustrations at the appropriate time. If she
skips clicking back, or something doesn't work, the kids will be fidgeting
while she reads and there's nothing to look at on the screen...  So, we
will probably skip that site, since it's not designed for use across all
levels. The poor 3/4 graders deserve pictures on their version just like
they are on the high school/college version, or better ....

                                                 Anne

At 11:30 AM 7/29/01 -0500, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

>Hi Anne,
>

>You wrote
>
>"       Joe, all elements on a page need an equivalent, not just the
>
>non-text elements. Text is an element and it needs an equivalent, like all
>
>the other elements. 3.4 is the only place this is addressed, and it doesn't
>
>do the deed. "
>

>and
>
>" > No matter the arguments presented, text is an element on a page, no
>
> > more, and no less. It needs an equivalent. [...]"
>

>Are you saying that you think:
>

>1) all text on a page needs a non-text equiv?
>

>Or
>

>2) just some text on a page needs a non-text equiv?
>

>Gregg
>

>-- ------------------------------
>
>Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
>
>Professor - Human Factors