Re: More on 3.4

Matt,

         I've savored all day while Hubby was surfing, waiting to reply to
your philosophical post ....

         It is not only in guideline 3.4 in which we presume to suggest to
the author of a page that his/her horizons be expanded .... we do this
throughout the guidelines. An author who intended content to be a graphic
is required to expand that concept to include an alt text and sometimes a
long description. Do we ask if the author has the skills or tools to do so?
No, we just say do it .... If an author has created a multi-media, we don't
just say thank you for expanding the horizons of those who will benefit
from it, we say "march back to your computer and write a script for it and
synchronize it" ... before it's good enough ... So why stop and get
squeamish over telling authors to provide an equivalent/and/or illustrate a
unit of text (of whatever size) .....

                                         Anne

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com