Re: WebP, anyone using it?

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 17:56:57 +0200
To: "Peter Gasston" <pgasston@gmail.com>, "Kevin Suttle" <kevin@kevinsuttle.com>
Cc: "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com>, <public-respimg@w3.org>
Supporting WebP from Google while not supporting JPEG-XR from Microsoft
seems rather difficult to hold position. Based on most tests I’ve been able
to read, JPEG-XR and WebP perform almost similarly (slight win for WebP on
average), but JPEG-XR is much faster to decode, making it better suited for
the web context. Behind that, you get the usual MS vs GOOG debate as none of
the two want to implement the other's format.

By the way, I don't really grasp why the RespIMG spec should talk about
image formats. This is very controversial and could create a lot of high N/S
debates unrelated to the core issue (which is: responsive image).