Re: Getting started with issue tracking

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 10:51:58 -0700
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "HTML Issue Tracking WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On 11/2/07, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> as announced by Dan Conolly in
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Oct/0367.html>,
> I've added a first issue as trial:
> <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/1>.

I am concerned that this issue, as described, does not follow the
template and principles laid out in past posts to this working group,
e.g. here:

   http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/IssueTemplate
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0003.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0863.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0946.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0953.html

Given the past volume of mail to this mailing list, it is unlikely
that Hyatt and I will be able to read every mail for every issue.
Having issues summarised in the above format in the wiki is much more
likely to allow everyone to have their point of view considered.

That is to say -- while I think the tracker is a fine tool to use to
track issue discussion, please don't consider it the final word on an
issue. The editors are far more likely to make sensible decisions if
the issues are presented in the format described in the above-cited
e-mails and template page.

Cheers,
--
Ian Hickson