Re: The only name for the xml serialisation of html5

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 17:41:42 +0000 (UTC)
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:

> When you write "Wikipedia even mentions XHTML5 as being the XML version
> of HTML5", are you not being a little disingenuous ?  Checking the
> update history for that page, one finds that the assertion "(XHTML5 is
> the XML dialect of HTML5, seems better to redirect to HTML5 instead)"
> was made by an anonymous contributor identified only by IP address :
> 213.236.208.22.  Associating that address with a DNS name, one finds
>
> 	21 78 ms 79 ms 88 ms pat-tdc.opera.com [213.236.208.22]
>
> and when one compares that DNS name with those recorded in the HTML5 IRC
> logs, one finds that it is associated with Lachlan Hunt :
>
> 	> # [03:06] * Quits: Lachy (n=Lachy@pat-tdc.opera.com)

Actually it would be associated with anyone at Opera, that's the Opera
corporate gateway.

Interesting stuff, I was not aware of that change. I've personally been
keeping well away from editing any relevant Wikipedia pages on the
principle that I'm biased (though I occasionally comment on the discussion
pages).

Still, the fact that nobody changed this text in months suggests that it
isn't widely debated.

> This would seem to suggest that rather than being an unbiased
> contribution to Wikipedia from a disinterested party, it is rather more
> likely to be a statement made by somebody with a very definite interest
> in the "ownership" of the name.

Indeed; please feel free to ignore that part of the earlier comments. I
don't think it materially affects the issue. There are countless blogs
that could be cited in a similar vein that aren't associated with people
actively contributing to HTML5.