Support Existing Content (was: Proposed Design Principles review)

Hi-

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I renamed this principle to "Support Existing Content". Here is the new
> text:
>
> Support Existing Content
>
> SupportExistingContent: Browsers implementing the new version of HTML
> should still be able to handle existing content. Ideally, it should be
> possible to process web documents and applications via an HTML5
> implementation even if they were authored against older implementations
> and do not specifically request HTML5 processing.

This is much clearer, thanks.  It addresses my complaint about the lack
of specificity for this point.

Now I'm sure I disagree with it.

This point in particular is still a bone of contention in the HTML WG, I
think, and so isn't suitable (for now) for inclusion in the Design
Principles.  Including this would essentially be a fiat for one camp.

I'd like a reality check, here, though.  I may be out of step with the
rest of the HTML WG on this issue.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a questionable design principle?
If so, I'll get my head examined and look at it again.

Thanks-
-Doug