RE: About the Web Forms 2 proposal -- from a proposed design principles point of view

On Thu 4/26/2007 10:03 PM Matthew Raymond wrote

Dailey, David P. wrote:
>> On Thu 4/26/2007 3:29 PM Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>
>>> Web Forms 2 has taken as much features from XForms as possible to the
>>> extend that it is feasible to integrate the XForms features in a model
>>> that needs to be compatible with deployed HTML content and HTML
>>> implementations.
>>
>> Let me see if I might practice responding to this in a way that seems
>> like it may become appropriate once our "design principles" cease to
>> be [guidelines] and become instead our "design manifesto." ...just to
>> see if I can practice using these things in a way consistent with their
>> apparent purpose. Let me be very literal, just for fun.
>>

> I think the SVG Working Group is already causing enough grief on its
>own. However, [...]

Oh my. It looks as though I still don't quite understand that "don't reinvent the wheel" thingy yet. It's gonna take some real practice I can tell.

Of course I always believe in not reinventing design principles either. Ted Nelson (hypertext) helped me with one of these: http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/words/aphorisms.html back in 1986. I do rather prefer Principia Cybernetica, if one actually needs the darn things around for some purpose: http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/CYBSPRIN.html . Occam's razor would seem to handle a lot of the parsimony stuff.

It seems that if such principles are neither agreed upon nor understood, then the proposed extension of the charter does not aid in the work of the group.

David Dailey