Re: Separation of versioning concerns

On Apr 25, 2007, at 6:19 AM, Eric Daspet wrote:

> This assume that authors that rely on a specific version know that
> they
> are doing so. In my opinion, this is not the case. Most authors may
> rely
> on a bug and do not know that it is a bug.

I agree with you but would like to point out that when content users
start informing the content's author that it is not rendering
correctly with >IE 7 the author could use Google to find the lock
down to fix their content quickly with a copy and paste.

The question I have about this lock down proposal is how long would a
browser need to implement them? How extra bloated would a browser
get? What if a "bug" is because of an internal architecture the
browser authors wish to discard?

Personally I'd like to see browser producers implement authoring
modes that could be employed by page authors to check their work
against a browser. If a lock down were protecting their content by
continuing to implement a bug then the authoring mode would advise
them of this and suggest how much longer it might continue to work:
fix before IE 9.0 (or else!)

Scott Turner