Re: The argument for |bugmode| (was Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype)

From: Dão Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:52:42 +0200
To: Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo <amla70@gmail.com>
CC: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, public-html@w3.org

Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo schrieb:

>> 1.c We have _one_ more opt-in, namely <!DOCTYPE html>, and MS doesn't
>> officially support it until the standards compliance is reasonable.
>>

> So you say that MS shouldn't release new bugfixes related to standards
> rendering "until the standards compliance is reasonable"?

Yes.

> What's reasonable?

Reasonable is when fixing remaining bugs won't break a remarkable part
of the web. Just take a look at IE's competitors.

> How can you check that everything that you want is fixed if they don't
> release new versions?

By maintaining a bug list, running test suits and doing alpha releases.

> Chris is saying that they plan to use <!DOCTYPE html> to trigger the
> new standards mode, but only MS knows how many fixes they plan to add
> in that mode

That's right and that's also what I'm trying to argue about with Chris.
I honestly think making the new mode an actual standards mode is the
best solution for all participants.

> I don't like the idea of having to deal as a web author with several
> IE engines at the same time

That's because they're all broken at different levels. Ultimately, we
want an engine that's not broken.

--Dao