Re: The argument for |bugmode| (was Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype)

From: Magnus Kristiansen <magnusrk+w3c@pvv.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:15:56 +0200
To: Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo <amla70@gmail.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:18:44 +0200, Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo
<amla70@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's analyze the situation:
> You've built a web page, it's rendered correctly and works properly in
> all the current browsers.
> IE.next is released with a new standards mode, there are some
> possibilities:
>
> 1.Your page did relied on a bug and it's fixed in the new IE.
> 1.a If the opt-in is automatic for every new release then your page
> now is broken and you must check and fix it.
> 1.b If you must set the opt-in for the new standards mode then your
> page will remain fine until you add the opt-in and fix the problems.
>
> 2. Your page didn't relied on any bug fixed in IE.next. No matter if
> there's an opt-in or not, no matter if there's a new Standards mode or
> not, everything works fine and everybody is happy.

2.b The page didn't bother making a complex workaround for a missing
feature / non-fatal bug. IE.next fixed this, but nobody benefits from it
because the author has to make a manual opt-in.

--
Magnus Kristiansen
"Don't worry; the Universe IS out to get you."