Re: The argument for |bugmode| (was Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype)

2007/4/19, Magnus Kristiansen <magnusrk+w3c@pvv.org>:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:18:44 +0200, Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo
> <amla70@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Let's analyze the situation:
> > You've built a web page, it's rendered correctly and works properly in
> > all the current browsers.
> > IE.next is released with a new standards mode, there are some
> > possibilities:
> >
> > 1.Your page did relied on a bug and it's fixed in the new IE.
> > 1.a If the opt-in is automatic for every new release then your page
> > now is broken and you must check and fix it.
> > 1.b If you must set the opt-in for the new standards mode then your
> > page will remain fine until you add the opt-in and fix the problems.
> >
> > 2. Your page didn't relied on any bug fixed in IE.next. No matter if
> > there's an opt-in or not, no matter if there's a new Standards mode or
> > not, everything works fine and everybody is happy.
>
> 2.b The page didn't bother making a complex workaround for a missing
> feature / non-fatal bug. IE.next fixed this, but nobody benefits from it
> because the author has to make a manual opt-in.

But if you want to automatically use the new Standards mode you have
to check the rendering in the new IE anyway, so you can just add the
opt-in that moment and then the users benefit of that fix.
If you can't add the opt-in at that moment then surely you couldn't
fix any new problem that could have happened if the default rendering
changed.

This is not to say that improvements should be done only to the new
standards mode, but that if there are changes that MS thinks are
incompatible with the current web then that new rendering mode (with
the differences being only those incompatible changes) shouldn't
always and forever be automatic.