Re: The argument for |bugmode| (was Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype)

From: Patrick Taylor <patrick@healtheconomics.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 01:38:19 -0300
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>

On 18-Apr-07, at 1:27 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Dannii wrote:
>> And it can be left out completely? Sounds very good.
>
> If we decide on a version attribute rather than part of the
> doctype, then I must insist if the version is omitted it must
> default to 5.  "Default is whatever the latest version is" is
> unacceptable, for authoring as well as for compatible behavior in
> our browser.
>
> -C

Isn't the question of what to default to an implementation detail for
the UA developers? Is this REALLY a spec issue?

I propose that we add an optional version attribute.

*  Microsoft (or whomever else wants) can use it for their opt-in,
and, in the absence of the version attribute, default to html5 or
html6 or almost standards mode or whatever if they choose.

*  Apple, Mozilla, Opera, etc can choose to ignore it and default to
Latest Standard mode whether it is there or not.

*  Web authors will do what they've always done and work around the
implementations.

If it doesn't already exist, I also propose the design principle:
"The Spec cannot solve all problems".