Re: The argument for |bugmode|

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:26:47 +1000
To: Patrick Taylor <patrick@healtheconomics.org>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Patrick Taylor wrote:
> Isn't the question of what to default to an implementation detail for
> the UA developers?

It's one that can have seriously adverse affects on the future of web
development.

> *  Microsoft (or whomever else wants) can use it for their opt-in, and,
> in the absence of the version attribute, default to html5 or html6 or
> almost standards mode or whatever if they choose.
>
> *  Apple, Mozilla, Opera, etc can choose to ignore it and default to
> Latest Standard mode whether it is there or not.
>
> *  Web authors will do what they've always done and work around the
> implementations.

That does not help interoperability at all.  It's precisely the
situation we need to avoid in the future.

> If it doesn't already exist, I also propose the design principle: "The
> Spec cannot solve all problems".

That's not an acceptable design principle, it's just another way of
saying give up.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/