Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype

On Apr 17, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Matthew Ratzloff wrote:

> On Tue, April 17, 2007 1:51 pm, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
>> it should be in an attribute on the root element, not in the
>> doctype string.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE html>
>
> I agree; this is fine.  In fact, Simon Pieters, I, and others proposed
> this very thing on the WHAT WG list (for the reasons Chris Wilson
> stated)
> and were promptly shut down.  So it's nice to see others come to
> the same
> conclusion after all this back and forth.  :-)

Just to be super clear, I'm *not* saying versioning is good (I'll
state my opinion on that more generally soon). But I do think that
*if* we have a version marker, it should be an attribute on the root,
not part of the doctype declaration.

Regards,
Maciej