Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype

On Tue, April 17, 2007 1:51 pm, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> If we require a version marker (and I don't necessarily agree we
> should),

A version marker hurts nothing for those that choose not to use it and
provides necessary information for those that do.  For those reasons, I
think it's essential.

> it should be in an attribute on the root element, not in the
> doctype string.
>
> [...]
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>

I agree; this is fine.  In fact, Simon Pieters, I, and others proposed
this very thing on the WHAT WG list (for the reasons Chris Wilson stated)
and were promptly shut down.  So it's nice to see others come to the same
conclusion after all this back and forth.  :-)

-Matt