Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype

From: Daniel Spång <daniel.spang@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:50:03 +0200
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: matt@builtfromsource.com, public-html@w3.org

On 4/17/07, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
> Just to be super clear, I'm *not* saying versioning is good (I'll
> state my opinion on that more generally soon). But I do think that
> *if* we have a version marker, it should be an attribute on the root,
> not part of the doctype declaration.

While not taking position regarding the version issue itself  I just
want to add that using an attribute on the html element  will
obviously not work when html start tag is omitted according to the
rules in:

<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-writing.html#omitted>

--
Daniel Spång