Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:52:32 +0200, Matthew Ratzloff
<matt@builtfromsource.com> wrote:

>> <!DOCTYPE html>
>
> I agree; this is fine.  In fact, Simon Pieters, I, and others proposed
> this very thing on the WHAT WG list (for the reasons Chris Wilson stated)
> and were promptly shut down.  So it's nice to see others come to the same
> conclusion after all this back and forth.  :-)

I did propose a version attribute a while back[1], but that was at the
same time as I proposed to change the doctype to <!doctype html>. The
previous doctype had "HTML5" in it, so I presumed that there was a need to
include information about what version of HTML a document claimed itself
to be (what I had in mind then was for validators), but as was pointed out
that is not an issue. I am not in favor of versioning. My proposal to
include a version attribute back then was not for the same reasons Chris
Wilson stated at all.

[1]
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2006-February/005875.html
--