Non-goal for HTML: A Graphics API

At 10:34 AM 4/16/2007 -0700, Chris Wilson wrote:

>T.V Raman [mailto:raman@google.com] wrote:
> >If we're talking about HTML producing pixel perfect rendering,
> >then I suggest it's time to press the reset button -- that was
> >never HTML's goal, and nor should it ever become its goal.
>
>I agree, but then I don't think it's rational to put a graphics API in the
>middle of the HTML spec.  (And actually, I'm kinda on the fence - other
>than OS-native controls, I'm not sure if rendering isn't de facto part of
>the spec anyway.  It's not like we could decide that <div> should have a
>default margin of 2ems or anything.  :)

HTML is not the place for a graphics API. This should be promoted to Design
Principle.

It may well be the best Graphics API that was
ever built, but it still doesn't belong inside of HTML.

We could have decided that <div> had a default margin on the day that we
invented <div>,
but I am glad that we didn't. If you will recall, before the advent of
being used for blocks and inlines, so a default margin would not have been
appropriate.