Re: A Compromise to the Versioning Debate

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:02:12 +0100, Alexander Graf
<a.graf@aetherworld.org> wrote:

>> The majority of incompetent web developers use tutorials and copy/
>> paste script, use frameworks and anything premade.
>>
>> Given such switch, frameworks will require it and will only tell
>> you "please copy/paste the following line at the beginning of the
>> HTML page". They'll spare the details, if you know what I mean.
>>
>> It is inevitable, given the switch, we will end up with tons of
>> documents relying on buggy behaviour in IE.next. IE n+1 will break
>> those pages if it doesn't add yet another switch.
>
> Why even care about incompetent web developers?

Because, depending on definition of incompetence, it might be more than a
half of all web developers (judging by number of quirks-mode sites,
ill-formed 'XHTML', etc.).

And incompetent web developers aren't just limited to myspace users, you
can easily find on-line banking websites that are locked into particular
version of IE.

> I don't want to start a discussion about the trade but seriously, being
> a web developer
> requires some skill that a lot of people just don't have. Catering
> for them and trying to make HTML as simple as possible so that these
> people won't have any problems is just weird.

Making HTML harder won't stop incompetent developers from trying. It will
just make developers' lives harder and increase cost of web development.

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski