Re: A Compromise to the Versioning Debate

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:31:59 +0100
To: "Alexander Graf" <a.graf@aetherworld.org>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:02:12 +0100, Alexander Graf
<a.graf@aetherworld.org> wrote:

>> The majority of incompetent web developers use tutorials and copy/
>> paste script, use frameworks and anything premade.
>> Given such switch, frameworks will require it and will only tell
>> you "please copy/paste the following line at the beginning of the
>> HTML page". They'll spare the details, if you know what I mean.
>> It is inevitable, given the switch, we will end up with tons of
>> documents relying on buggy behaviour in IE.next. IE n+1 will break
>> those pages if it doesn't add yet another switch.
> Why even care about incompetent web developers?

Because, depending on definition of incompetence, it might be more than a
half of all web developers (judging by number of quirks-mode sites,
ill-formed 'XHTML', etc.).

And incompetent web developers aren't just limited to myspace users, you
can easily find on-line banking websites that are locked into particular
version of IE.

> I don't want to start a discussion about the trade but seriously, being
> a web developer
> requires some skill that a lot of people just don't have. Catering
> for them and trying to make HTML as simple as possible so that these
> people won't have any problems is just weird.

Making HTML harder won't stop incompetent developers from trying. It will
just make developers' lives harder and increase cost of web development.

regards, Kornel Lesinski