RE: Versioning and html[5]

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:13:36 +0200
To: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Also sprach Chris Wilson:

 > >Authors want consistency across implementations more than they want an
 > >ideal spec that isn't implemented anywhere.
 > I'd think we could give them a third option - an ideal spec that
 > all implementations converge on.

It seems, though, that you are advocating a model where spec work is
restarted once >0.5% of the content starts referring to the ideal

AnneVK asked you a question about this:

 | Hi Chris,
 | Do I understand it correctly that the following is your proposal for HTML
 | versioning:
 |    1. Microsoft implements HTML5.
 |    2. Microsoft ships an IE release which triggers "HTML5-mode"
 |       when a page uses <!doctype html5>.
 |    3. Microsoft fixes bugs.
 |    4. When more than 0.5% of the content out there uses
 |       <!doctype html5> Microsoft stops fixing bugs.
 |    5. Back to step one incrementing the HTML version number by one.
 | (Instead of <!doctype html5> some other identifier could have been used of
 | course, such as the suggested <!doctype html> or <!doctype html><html
 | version=5>, etc.)

It would be helpful if you could comment on this. How many levels and
years do you think it will take before all implementations reach the
ideal goal?