Re: Version information

>Ian Hickson wrote:
>>>If we use the "short" doctype <!DOCTYPE html> we will confuse people who
>>>are used to xml, sgml and/or html4.
>>The group of authors that would be confused is far, far outnumbered by
>>the group of authors who would find the shorter DOCTYPE a significant
>>improvement and simplification.

If you aren't going to use a <!DOCTYPE properly, then please don't use it.
<!DOCTYPE is an important token in SGML and XML. If you aren't intending
to conform with SGML and XML, please do not use <!DOCTYPE.

Yes, I gather that you think that it's OK to sabotage SGML and XML software
because you think that browser makers are more important than any other
software developer on the planet, but that is not actually the case and it
would be
polite for you to desist from use <!DOCTYPE

So, why don't you try to come up with a better way to flag HTML documents?
How about <HTML plus a version attribute or a namespace? That would polite.
You don't have to gratuitously abuse SGML and XML syntax.

Regards,

Murray