Re: Version information

From: Mike Schinkel <w3c-lists@mikeschinkel.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:26:08 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
>> If we use the "short" doctype <!DOCTYPE html> we will confuse people who are used to xml, sgml and/or html4.
> The group of authors that would be confused is far, far outnumbered by the
> group of authors who would find the shorter DOCTYPE a significant
> improvement and simplification.

+1, and I'll add that those who would be confused are far more likely to
be able to figure it out than the vast majority of others. Those others
will get confused if were we to use the prior DOCTYPE syntax, and I
daresay there are a lot more of those people.

>> The doctype will not appears "valid" or "as usual" for them.
>>
> They'll get used to it.

Yes.  As is often said: "They're young, they'll adjust!" ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/