Re: Version information

From: David Håsäther <hasather@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:30:35 +0200
To: "Murray Maloney" <murray@muzmo.com>, public-html@w3.org

Murray Maloney wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> If we use the "short" doctype <!DOCTYPE html> we will confuse people
>>> who are used to xml, sgml and/or html4.
>> The group of authors that would be confused is far, far outnumbered by
>> the group of authors who would find the shorter DOCTYPE a significant
>> improvement and simplification.
>>
> If you aren't going to use a <!DOCTYPE properly, then please don't use
> it.
> <!DOCTYPE is an important token in SGML and XML. If you aren't intending
> to conform with SGML and XML, please do not use <!DOCTYPE.

Unfortunately, we must -- to trigger standards mode. This is the only
reason, and it would've been avoided if possible.

> Yes, I gather that you think that it's OK to sabotage SGML and XML
> software because you think that browser makers are more important than
> any other software developer on the planet

As I think you know that <!DOCTYPE html> is syntactically correct in SGML
and XML, I don't see what you mean here.

> So, why don't you try to come up with a better way to flag HTML
> documents?

It's not a way to flag HTML documents, it's used for triggering standards
mode only.

--
David Håsäther