Re: Versioning and html[5]

From: Mike Schinkel <w3c-lists@mikeschinkel.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:20:27 -0400
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:
> If this is indeed the case, then you shouldn't be asking for a change to
> the spec. Just add another IE comment syntax:
>    <!--[ie 8]-->
> ...which makes IE browsers render the page according to the given IE
> version (and if there's no IE version flag, default to IE7).
Is there any reason note to standardize the switch syntax so it's not
some IE specific thing, e.g.

   <!--[ie 8]-->
   <!--[firefox 3]-->
   <!--[opera 10]-->

> Maybe it would help, however, if instead of assuming that compliance to
> HTML5 will mean broken pages, we worked on the assumption that
> implementing HTML5 correctly will mean all pages work. That's what the
> other browser vendors want, it's what the WHATWG set out to do three years
> ago and has been doing ever since, it's what authors want.
> Where HTML5 does break pages, we need to fix the spec. If this means
> getElementById() changes to look for 'name' attributes, sobeit. Sometimes
> it may be that IE's behaviour *can* change because few enough pages depend
> on some edge case that it's ok to change it. Sometimes changes in IE's
> behaviour will, in beta tests, show to be utterly impractical, and then we
> can use this feedback to fix the spec. In the end, all browsers benefit
> from the experience, we improve competition in the browser space, and the
> authors and users benefit.

> and I'll even do it without an IE-specific opt in.  The fact of the
> matter is that today, web developers already serve different content to
IE and Firefox.Yes, and this is a bad thing. We want to get away from this. If we can
make a spec that means that browsers can implement the Web's technologies
identically, then we don't need browser-sniffing.

-Mike Schinkel