Re: Level of specification detail

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:58:30 +0200, liorean <liorean@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/04/07, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>> In my opinion:
>>
>> The spec itself should mainly try to address implementors of user
>> agents (including browsers, search engines, data mining tools, etc),
>> conformance checkers and authoring tools, since these audiences need
>> a significant amount of precision.
>>
>> A simpler guide for authors might be a useful addendum, and of course
>> we definitely want exhaustive test cases.
>
> I'm fine with the spec mostly addressing implementors, though I think
> there is a strong need for authors to have some kind of official and
> complete guide/reference.

Authoring requirements are made as those are necessary for both
conformance checkers and authoring tools. I would expect people to extract
those and create tutorials for various kind of audiences (coming from
HTML4, coming from XML, no experience, etc.).

> Something like the elements/attributes tables of HTML4.01 is enough,
> it just needs to be there somewhere.

I agree that the specification should have appendices listing those. I
would expect this to happen when the specification is mostly done though,
not directly. For now Simon Pieters is maintaining this page:

   http://simon.html5.org/html5-elements
   (It lists all elements and attributes.)

--
Anne van Kesteren