Re: Design Principles updated

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:33:21 +0300
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>

On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:33, Laurens Holst wrote:

> Henri Sivonen schreef:
>>> This takes a position on the <b> and the <i> elements. I donít
>>> think it should do that.
>>
>> Do you want to this WG to continue the <i> vs. <em> permathread
>> that has been going on since at least 1993?
>
> What kind of question is that. This has nothing to do with <i> and
> <em>.
>
> What I say is that I do not think the design principles should take
> positions on specific elements.

The logical consequences of the design principles effectively do. I
guess it is a matter of taste if one prefers these consequences to be
made explicit examples or left implicit.

> If itís a permathread, that would only suggest that there are very
> different opinions on the matter, and the design principles should
> stay away from these kind of special mentions and stick to global
> concepts.

The point of the design principles is to establish that certain
fundamental points of disagreement have been resolved in a certain
way (for good reason and based on experience of real-world
considerations) so that we don't need to re-discuss the fundamentals
every time there's a decision to be made.

For example, it wouldn't be productive to have the SGML discussion
every time we examine a parsing algorithm detail. Fortunately, the
Charter pre-empts the SGML permathread.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi