Re: DefaultStyleSheet05: (was Default (informal) Style Sheet)

At 14:43 +0900 UTC, on 2007-04-02, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 2 avr. 2007 à 13:24, Mike Schinkel a écrit :
>>    http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/DefaultStyleSheet05
>
> About Default StyleSheet:
>
> Let's say there is a Default CSS in the HTML Specification, I see
> some possible requirements:
>
> - CSS definitions are NOT normative

Absolutely, but then still the spec would be giving authors the impression
they can rely on certain presentation defaults, which IMO would be a bad
signal to give. I'd much rather see the spec define a 'CSS zapper' and state
that author CSS must/should include one.

> - CSS properties are limited to a certain number of informations:
> size, font, etc. (but no colors for example.)

Defining a default font-size will only lead to sites that do not scale well
when the user changed to another default. The spec would only be
contributing to more of what's out there today way too often already: text
that doesn't fit some anticipated space, and thus overlaps other content.
Result: inusability.

The same applies to margins, paddings, lineheight, etc.

--
Sander Tekelenburg